Saturday, March 27, 2010

Old habits die hard

What is it about a rest day that makes you feel like you're cheating your workout schedule? Even if it's well-deserved, I feel really bad about myself when I have to lay off for my body to keep up.

This after noon I woke up with a full intention of getting my lifting in. I was dressed, had my water bottles together, and made it out the door to find the temperature around 50 degrees and rain that was coming in sideways. I made it about 10 steps before the reasons for staying home started entering my mind. The gym is going to be packed, it's too nasty to be out and about, I haven't had a rest in 5 days, and so on. Before I got to the car I turned around and went back in to catch up on my DVR list. I know if I could have made it inside the car, I definitely would have worked out today. I need to force myself to get there next time.

However, the rest was deserved, after my 5 mile run yesterday my knee was feeling a bit weak and my calves were sore. And I did get to see a pretty incredible episode of "Life" that I had saved my a week or so. Also, I got my "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" fix in for the week. Memo to all: if you aren't watching that show, which is on Starz as well as streamed on Netflix, you are missing the best show on television. I started watching it thinking it would be a lame ripoff of 300, and the first couple of episodes definitely seemed that I was correct, but it really picks up. Great action, even though some parts are full of the kitschy 300-like blood effects and slow motion, and the plot-lines are superb. You really should check it out.

To close out today, I thought I'd post a great dinner idea that I will be making for dinner tonight. I bought some wooden skewers and plan to make kabobs, which should be low-fat and healthy, served with roasted vegetable of some sort.

Soak the skewers in water for 1 hour. Mix together various herbs. I choose oregano, sea salt, pepper, and thyme. Drizzle the breast with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp Worcester sauce and sift the herbs on top of the meat and let sit for 30 minutes.

Cut up 1 large chicken breast, or 2 if you are feeding multiple people, into 2 ounce chunks. Cut up 1 green or red pepper into smaller wedge chunks and set aside. Cut up one small yellow or vidalia onion in similar fashion and set aside. You can add any vegetable or fruit that you choose, I generally choose a russet potato and pineapple, but feel free to experiment.

Put the ingredients on the skewer in alternating fashion. Make sure the ends are vegetable, so the chicken doesn't slide off. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes then flip over the skewers and cook for about 5-10 more minutes, until chicken is fully cooked and vegetables look well roasted.

Serve with either rice or couscous and a roasted vegetable. I usually cook the couscous in chicken broth and roast asparagus or Brussels sprouts to go with this dish. Send me a message if you would like to know how to roast Brussels sprouts correctly until they are crispy and sweet. Seriously, best vegetable ever.

Anyhow, guess that's it for now. I'll be running about 3-4 miles on the boardwalk this morning as soon as I get off work, so absolutely no chance of dodging my workout. Talk at you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment