Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Joys of Downsizing

Doesn't it just make you feel awesome to throw out half of your possessions? We're moving within the next month, so today I was tasked with cleaning out the closets and choosing what clothes I would be keeping and which I would be sending to goodwill.

I was ruthless. If it wasn't worn in the last 3 months, and I didn't anticipate wearing in the next month, it was going somewhere, but not to out next residence. The final tally: 8 over sized trash bags full of clothes, 2 large boxes full of DVDs, VCR cassettes and other useless junk that just took up space. The apartment is airier now, and I feel like it's a brand new place. It's just incredible how much of a change it makes.

The Goodwill pile:


I almost cried when I tossed three brand-new pairs of 48x30 jeans in this pile. At first because I can now wear 38 size jeans, and am so glad I'll never be that size again, and then again because they were freakin' brand new (never worn because they were a bit tight). That was 100-150 dollars wasted. Oh well. I found some clothes in the closet that I couldn't even remember buying or owning. Sayonara, fat clothes.

The trash pile:


If you think that's impressive: consider the fact that I haven't even touched my kitchen or the outside storage yet. I also have at least 5-6 large pieces of furniture to add to this collection. Guess moving won't be so bad this time around, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment