Sunday, March 27, 2011

Run, Fat Boy, Run


Yes, I realize this is the name of a terrible movie. No, this is not a post about that movie. I apologize if you're a huge Simon Pegg fan, I'm just stating facts.

Last weekend was the Shamrock 8K, Half Marathon and Marathon festival. I had originally wanted to run the Half Marathon, because I was building my mileage up and thought I would ready to tackle a race after running the 8k in previous years. As the time kept creeping closer, I found a ton of reasons to chicken out such as not running enough over the winter to train, a mild case of plantar fascitis that creeps up now and again, being tired from work, and many more. So when the time came to sign up, I chose to run only the 8k and put the Half Marathon off until later this fall, because I'm sure that I'll have enough time in training between now and then to take a shot at it. (I know, it's ambitious thinking)

I was aiming for a finishing time of 45 minutes. This would make me average around 9 minutes a mile, which would be the fastest time I have ever run one mile, much less 5 in a row. Looking back, it was pretty outlandish to expect that, but I knew I would be running faster with the crowd of people around me, and that adrenaline in the front half of the race would push me to a great start. I was pretty much correct on this, as I jumped out to a big boost right off the starting gun. I was passing people right and left, running through gaps like an NFL running back and feeling like a racing superstar. About a half-mile in I started to get winded and the stitch in my side told me I was being a moron. At this point I slowed my pace down a couple steps and started to pace myself with the group to get my breathing right. I figured I was going to start killing my pace but when I got to the first mile marker and looked down at my watch to see I was running an 8 minute mile! This was incredible news, and made me think I could even afford to slow a little in the back half and still hit my goal.

Continuing on, I approached the 2 mile marker and still noticed I was averaging a 9 minute mile. Right on pace! Awesome news right? Well this is the part of the race where we essentially did a 180 and started running northbound on the boardwalk. Right into a 20 mph 40 degree wind. Needless to say, I did not account for the wind at my back in the original goal considerations.

It only took 2 blocks for me to hit a wall. I instantly felt about 20 lbs heavier and my feet began dragging. I was starting to get passed by 7 year old children who looked like they were jogging slow and just playing around, chasing each other. I just kept looking forward to markers in the distant horizon that I would be hitting to get this race over for once and for all. Very slowly the 15th street pier came into focus. It seemed like it took forever to finally get to it and then I could see the Neptune statue. Eventually the statue got bigger and bigger and I found my self on 27th street, turning to go back up Atlantic and circle around for the short backstretch to the finish line.

All the spectators were crowded along the boardwalk as I started the 6 block sprint to the finish. I had the wind to my back again so I was hoping to bring my time back up and finish at a respectable level. I hate running with people watching because things jiggle and bounce around, as you can tell is happening in the picture to the left, because I haven't burned off all my fat from my lazy days, but today I couldn't let that be a factor. I had looked at my watch when I turned into the backstretch and saw that I was just passing my original 45 minutes, so that was out but I was hoping to still get under 50 minutes so I could hit a 10 minute average, which is still the best 5 mile pace I've ever done. Eventually I hit the finish line to a crowd of cheers and hollering and stopped my watch for a new PR 49 minutes, 53 seconds. It's a pretty good feeling not only to know that you accomplished the run, but you set new records while doing so. Especially considering my last time when I ran the 8K was 65 minutes.I smashed that record.

I didn't stick around for the rest of the festivities, which included free beer from the sponsor (at 9am, right after running for an hour, ugh), Irish stew (see the beer part, ugh), and a couple other useless items. I just went to my car, drove home, and immediately crashed in my bed for a long nap because I had to work later that night. Overall, I'd have to say it was an awesome day.

All of these pictures of a fatty running on the boardwalk were taken near the finish line, where I was trying to push myself, so they aren't the most flattering pictures ever taken. I wish they'd take official pictures at the beginning of the race too. Oh well.

Things that piss me off in organized races:
  • people who get in the first corral with 6 minute pacers and elite runners, and then walk, making the entire 15 thousand people entered have to pass them. Get a clue, people.
  • spectators that shout out random encouraging words to me as I pass. I know, it's supposed to be a good thing, and I appreciate the effort, but please save it for the woman behind me who is holding her sides and huffing.
  • idiots who throw their water cups on the ground at my feet when I pass the water station, thus soaking my feet. Happened 3 times in this race, and I was running as far to the side away from the tables as possible.
  • people who run carrying large flags or other trailing/dragging props. I get it, it's a joke and fun for you. Some people are trying to run for real, and don't need your photo op tripping them or blinding them. Thanks.
  • parking garages that bump up their prices for large events at the Oceanfront and charge you for a full 4 hours when you were there for 3, but somehow went over the limit because of the funny way the ticket read out. Complaing to parking authority is a lesson in futility, forget it. Just pay and move on. Organized crime right there.
Those are just the big ones.

Simon Pegg fans: I haven't even seen Run, Fat Boy, Run. So stop your bellyaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment