Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Why proper nutrition and sleep are so important!

I haven't treated myself very well in the past. I'm one of those people who loves to work and I put in 110% effort. I'm also my own worst critic and sometimes a little bit too much of a perfectionist! Ultimately this results in letting yourself go when you're constantly thinking of others and their overall perception of you.

How can this be appetizing now?
I'm glad I took a step back a couple of years ago and realized what I had done to myself. A former track star in my teens up to college, what had I done to my fitness levels? Why was I always so tired? As soon as we started our daily walks around Mount Trashmore I instantly began to feel better. We began implementing healthier foods into our diets slowly but surely, it was actually a great experience because we're definitely both foodies!

Those steps were fantastic and had great results, but they just weren't quite enough for me. There were other areas that I could work on to boost my energy levels. In addition to improving my diet I also started taking a great multi-vitamin daily. I realized I wasn't eating enough fish, because I hate it, so... MUCH, as a result I started taking fish oil. Then there's the fact that I'm stuck inside ALL DAY and don't get to see much daylight due to work, solution? Vitamin D with Calcium to help absorb it.

Then there was there sleep issue. I was going to sleep around midnight and sometimes getting up at 6am. During the weekends I slept even less, I decided it was time to take action and although I am making progress in this department I still believe I have a long way to go here.

All of these have really helped me get back to my old self and I've also started to walk about 3 miles at lunch time. We're still working out on a regular basis and recently I've started to do a lot more weights which I really think has helped boost some of my recent weightloss.

It's certainly a journey of discovering yourself and the needs that your body has to find what the right solution is for you. It's time consuming but I know in the end it will all be worth it. I already see and feel the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment